Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Grandpa Hands

One of the things I remember most about my childhood is "Grandpa (or Grandma) hands (or feet)." These are the wrinkly hands you get after being in water for an extended period. We always knew we had been in the bath tub long enough if we got "Grandpa hands." We obviously called them that because we thought our hands looked like our grandparents' wrinkled hands. Every time my kids' hands get wrinkled from the water, I remember this and wonder if they will ever come up with their own name for them some day. Their grandparents don't have very wrinkly hands yet, so I don't think they would come up with the same name. Ethan sometimes looks at his "Grandpa hands" like there is something wrong with them. I think he's just starting to get that they have something to do with taking a bath... Maybe he'll call them "bath hands." Anyway, I wonder if anyone knows the scientific explanation for "Grandpa hands." If you do, would you please comment and let me know? I've always been curious.


mommyofthree said...

Funny, I never called them that. My kids call them wrinkly hands. Or, Jennica says, "Wrinkle-dinkle hands."

scrap chair potato said...

Gosh, did you forget that he was in the bathtub?! He needs a pedicure! ;)
I googled it and could not find a name for it other than "prune hands" but I think that is just made up like "grandpa hands".