Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley

When my mom called me last night to tell me that President Hinckley had died, I was a bit more sad than I thought I would be. Then when I was watching a look back at his life on the news this morning I was surprised when I got teary-eyed. This is why I was surprised: When President Hinckley was made the President of the Church, I actually said that I hoped he would die soon so that Thomas S. Monson could be our prophet (hey, I was 12 and he was 84). For a few years I think I was waiting for that to happen, then I smartened up (and grew up) and realized what a wonderful man President Hinckley was and how much he was doing for not only the church but for the world. I have grown to love listening to him speak, enjoying his wit, his sense of humor, and his straight forward way of teaching. So now, with the loss of such a great man, I am starting to wonder if President Monson will be able to fill his shoes. It's funny how even at the last conference I was thinking about how much I enjoyed listening to President Monson speak, but now I am thinking about how much I am going to miss hearing President Hinckley speak and having him lead our church. I'm sure that President Hinckley is so happy to be back with Marjorie, but he will surely be missed here on Earth.

“The time has come for us to stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to a greater comprehension and understanding of the grand millennial mission of this, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”
( Conference Report, Apr. 1995, 95.)

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

Very sweet. He was such a loveable man.

Brooke said...

I used to be friends with one of his granddaughters. One day while I played at her house, President Hinckly came over, although he was only a general authority then. At the time, I didn't know who he was (I was only 6 or 7), but he was so sweet and even rolled the playdough out for me.