Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Genius Son



So Shaun and I (like most other parents) have decided that our little Ethan is a genius. My sisters and mom can vouch for the fact that I love to brag about all of the intelligent things he can do. It all started when we realized that he has a special talent for and interest in computers. We think he gets this from his Daddy. When he was about 18 months old he started to play on the computer. At first we thought it was really just playing, but we soon noticed that he was able to point and click on very small buttons. He also liked to change settings and create his very own new folders on the desktop. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I think that kind of hand-eye coordination can be difficult for even some adults to master. It took a while, but I finally decided to let him play some computer games on the internet. They are made for toddlers, but I was amazed at how quickly he mastered the Care Bears matching game (it has the same rules as "Memory") he plays on their website. He has actually become bored of that one I think. His other two favorite games are alphabet games. As a result of playing those games he can recognize all of his letters and knows that E is for Ethan. Ethan is also able to recognize and name all of the basic shapes and is learning his numbers and colors. Of course there are other things that show his intelligence like all of the new words he uses everyday, his ability to draw, and all of the ASL signs he has known for some time now. We are kind of hoping that he will be eager to teach his little brother all of the things he knows so that we can think we have a prodigy when Spencer is two. It has become obvious to me that if it weren't for computers our bright little buddy may not be so bright, so I am thankful for the advancements in technology that have been made possible by people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Now if only the computer could teach Ethan how to use his potty...

2 comments:

Scrappy said...

What a little smarty pants. Thank goodness for those genes he got from Aunt Kiersten! :) I love the picture of Ethan playing on the computer.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I don't know how our whole family got all of the smartest children. I know I'm not prejudiced either. I used to think I had the three smartest children in the world but now I have all these nephews that are so smart too. How does that happen?!
My kids love to brag about how smart Ethan is with his ASL. They teach all of the people that come to our house the signs he knows (I'm so glad too because I am sure the missionaries will need to know how to sign helicopter sometime to effectively share the gospel) ;) I love the pictures too!